Welcome friends and family to our adventure!

Thank you all so much for you support! Check in anytime and find out what we are up to! We love you all very much.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

On the plane...

August 17th-18th ish


It seems that today has been a continuous string of drifting in and out of consciousness, in and out of anxiety, and in and out of the best feelings of freedom and adventure. Longer than one day, but that all depends on how one measure’s a day. To us, it has been one day because I don’t have any idea what time it is, how long I have been on this airplane, or how long I have been traveling. For once, time does not matter. I have resisted any desire to figure this out and it is very freeing and wonderful. We have left our selves exposed to the whims of the unknown, but we all do that every day that we exist. It is only different now because our predicting mechanisms are slightly skewed. We are on a breeze that will take us to magical places. The best part about this is that all-in-all we are completely stoked. Our daily routine does not offer the exhilaration and anominity that this day offers.

From Minneapolis to Tokyo, we are officially the minority. I feel like a sponge just trying to soak up every emotion, difference, and change. I am relishing in the adventure and excitement that today is so gladly offering. I do hope this continues as I know great challenges will stand before us. I keep telling myself “one day at a time” because the thought of teaching is making me nervous. Mostly it is a combination of questioning my ability as an educator and my ability to adapt to a completely new culture and life. I am so thankful that I have my brave, amazing husband by my side to guide me and support me. It seems that with his support and love, anything is possible.

Already, I have begun thinking about what will separate my good experiences from my bad, and I have come to realize that they can all be good experiences if I make them that way. Some might call it optimism, but I like to call it attitude. This experience will be dictated by our daily attitude and acceptance that they way we do things or the way they do things is not right or wrong, only different. As most of you know, Koreans eat dog. Americans shutter at the thought, but no interceding conjunction crosses the minds of the people who have always lived this way. The next question you are thinking: “will Clint and I eat dog?” You will have to continue reading my blog to find out! Remember, not right or wrong, only different.

To be continued from a dorm room at a University in Jeonbuk where we will be attending an 8-day conference, teaching us the ins-and-outs of teaching English, living in Korea, and, eeeek, speaking the language. For now, annyong hi kye se yo  (that is goodbye if you are the one leaving).

No comments:

Post a Comment